Jenn,

You can make your own conclusions about "state of the art", but here is Stanford's virtual shelf browse integrated into SearchWorks:

- embedded in a record view as a film strip (see the "browse related items" section of the page)
- a full page, gallery view of related items, grouped together by call number

By design, this virtual shelf browse is across Stanford's entire holdings, regardless of physical location of the books.

Another implementation to look at is Harvard's Stacklife: http://stacklife.harvard.edu/

- Tom