> I think Code4libbers will know more about my question about distributed
> INDEXES?  This is my rudimentary knowledge of linked data - that the
> indexing process will have to transit the links, and build a local index to
> the data, even if in displaying the individual "records", it goes again out
> to the source.  But are there examples of distributed systems that have
> distributed INDEXES?  Or Am I wrong in envisioning an index as a separate
> entity from the data in today's technology?

I'm a little confused by what you mean by distributed index in a linked
data context. I assume an index would have to be database implementation
specific, while data is typically exposed for external consumption via
implementation-agnostic protocols/formats, like a SPARQL endpoint or a REST
API. How do you locally index something remote under these constraints?

-Sarah