This really speaks to the c4l who’s-in-charge-here / nobody is in charge / take the ball and run with it zeitgeist.

We have one person — Ryan Wick — who carries most of the load for the website and the wiki. I don’t think that he, or anyone else, takes responsibility for organizing the content. From here,it looks like everything is a mix of tradition and fire prevention. Accordingly, this year we had:

— The conference web pages on code4lib.org
— The usual assortment of pages on wiki.code4lib.org
— The newcomer dinner page on Google Docs
— Stuff on Eventbrite

Resulting in a mix of the usual symptoms:

— No single place to find stuff
— Conflicting information
— Not clear editorial policy

So, what do we do, and who is this “we," anyhow?

The conference organizers have control, in theory, but I think that they are understandably loath to mess with the traditional mix. There is no place for them to ask a question and get a single, cogent, authoritative answer.

Code4lib itself isn’t really a thing, just an us, and we have been loath to form standing committees, although we have done that after a fashion for scholarships and the Journal. I think that the time has come for a Code4lib communications task force —I love that name — to address the structure of our public-facing resources. Any takers.

In lieu of blessings from an executive structure, the task force can do something with pasta to confirm its authority.

Any takers?

Thanks,

Cary