Search Senior Engineer
Internet Archive
San Francisco

SE-303: Search Senior Engineer

About the Internet Archive: The Internet Archive is a non-profit with a huge
mission: to give everyone access to all knowledge--the books, web pages,
audio, television and software of our shared human culture. Forever. Based in
San Francisco and with satellites around the world, the Internet Archive
staffers are building the digital library of the future--a place where we can
all go to learn and explore. Our 140 engineers, book scanners, librarians,
designers and team members have built the #200 website in the world.
(https://archive.org)

Location: Inner Richmond, San Francisco, CA

Job Classification: Full-time, exempt

Job Summary: The Internet Archive has a huge corpus of digital information. .
. all ready and waiting for access through modern Search technologies. With
millions of books and texts, 100s of 1000s of hours of video, millions of
audio tracks, and over 450 billion web captures there's a lot to search. We
are looking for a smart engineer with deep experience in Search and a passion
for modern and evolving search approaches and technologies. The ideal
candidate will possess a desire to work collaboratively with a small internal
team and a large, vocal and active user community; demonstrating independence,
creativity, initiative and technological savvy, in addition to being a great
programmer/architect.

Key Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position are to be the
technical master of all things related to Search at the Archive. More
specifically, this means:

• Improving the Search experience at Archive.org, OpenLibrary.org, and
Archive-IT.org

• Ensuring the effective deployment, configuration, and administration of
Search technologies within our multi-data-center computation and storage
cluster to achieve outstanding search performance and quality.

• Analyzing current challenges in our search infrastructure(s) and proposing
effective improvements.

• Facilitate the effective integration of Search into multiple web
applications as they evolve.

Minimum Qualifications:

• 3 to 5 years extensive work experience in open-source search systems and
technologies, including:

• ElasticSearch

• SOLR / Lucene

• Redis

• At last 10 years experience working in Linux environments

• Experience working in cluster-computing environments

• Knowledge and experience with search optimization an user experience
considerations (for both text-centric and metadata-centric searching)

• Flexibility and a sense of humor

• BS Computer Science, or equivalent work experience

Preferred Qualifications:

• Deep knowledge of evolving search technologies, including SPARK, SOLR5, and
REdis-3

• Cluster computing experience

• Experience open source practices and participation in open source forums

• MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience

Reporting Structure: The Senior Engineer for Search reports to the Director of
Engineering and will work closely with both the cluster infrastructure team
and web application development teams. Like other Bay Area technology firms,
we offer staffers a catered lunch every Friday, massages, countless M&M's and
working in the coolest office space in San Francisco. But more importantly,
you will be helping to make sure we preserve the history of the Digital Age.

To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Click here to Apply with
the subject line "SE-303: Search Senior Engineer"

Internet Archive will consider for employment-qualified applicants with
criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair
Chance Ordinance.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19328/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/