I highly recommend Chapter 6 of the Linked Data book which details different design approaches for Linked Data applications - sections 6.3  (http://linkeddatabook.com/editions/1.0/#htoc84) summarises the approaches as:

1. Crawling Pattern
2. On-the-fly dereferencing pattern
3. Query federation pattern

Generally my view would be that (1) and (2) are viable approaches for different applications, but that (3) is generally a bad idea (having been through federated search before!)

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com