Allowing for "focus" via multi-track also enables echo chambers in which people that could probably most benefit from non-code related talks never see them.

As a possible solution, we could have a post-conference afternoon on Thursday where people could meet to dig deeper into themes that occurred during the general session. Similar to what happened this year with the breakouts at the end, but with a little more emphasis and organization.

-Josh

Joshua Gomez | Sr. Software Engineer
Getty Research Institute | Los Angeles, CA
310-440-7421

>>> "Frumkin, Jeremy A - (frumkinj)" <[log in to unmask]> 02/23/15 11:19 AM >>>
A couple of thoughts:

1) It takes a lot of effort to put these proposals together. Let's not
lose sight that both proposals are good proposals, and that's why we have
a vote. I'm sure there are various opinions on both proposals.

2) Separate from either proposal, I was struck this year by a greater
diversity in topic areas for code4lib than I have observed in the past.
There definitely felt like there was interest in tracks that were not as
code-focused (such as culture / community, management, etc.). With the
conference growing to the size it has, I personally feel it might be
interesting to try a hybrid of single / multi-track, to allow those
attending an opportunity to have the ability to have some additional focus
on some theme areas. When we started code4lib, the size of the conference
was such that a single track made a lot of sense; as the event has grown,
both in size and maturity, I'd like to suggest that it may be worth
exploring having both single track sessions and multi-track sessions to
allow deeper dives by different segments of the attendees.

Just my $.02

-- jaf

Jeremy Frumkin
Assistant Dean / Chief Technology Strategist
University of Arizona Libraries

+1 520.626.7296
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." - Albert
Einstein