Building profiles in a thawspace would be a partial solution; it'd allow
for shorter login times if people go back to the same computer.

It'd be nice if we could pre-generate profiles for everybody, but the
numbers don't work.

Each profile runs to to about 100 MB each;
We have 208 GB free on each lab machine;
and about 15,000 potential users.

So generating profiles for all of them -- assuming five minutes per
profile -- would take 52 days of computing time at the beginning of each
term, and require about 1.5 TB of space on each computer.

I'm hoping somebody will know a nifty trick for slimming down what needs
to be created, or making PaperCut load faster, or something.

Will