Another approach- I think the Colorado consortium did this, is to whitelabel the Bluefire App, which works with any Adobe-DRM ebook.

With the Rakuten acquisition of Overdrive, I think it it might be wise to let the dust settle and see what happens with Kobo. And I know of at least 2, maybe 3, maybe 4 companies poised to enter the US library market with apps of their own. Both in the Adobe ecosystem and outside of it.