I'm sharing a dilemma to the list in hopes of getting in touch with anyone has been in a similar situation (although I have looked high and low without finding one similar case for over two months). Our library requires that the Senior employee In Charge be updated on our Intranet based on an old relational database which contains staff schedules. So when John Smith is in the library, if he outranks Kate Stewart, his name is posted at the top of the page. However, when John Smith's shift is over and Jo Grant appears, she's outranked by Kate Stewart, whose name then replaces John's.

That system has to be replaced, however. A few weeks back, I began likening the situation to the old, deprecated Foursquare: whoever is highest ranking when present is Mayor. Unfortunately, that was the old Foursquare, and no one left a recipe, how-to or breadcrumb trail behind.

There are lots of in/out boards (like Tabzon) online, and a few js calendars, but I have found absolutely nothing that ranks seniority and automagically pushes the name of the senior officer somewhere.

Worst-case scenario is that I'd have to write one from scratch, and I'm really more of a front-end person. But I'm posting here to see if anyone, anywhere has the same scenario and how they've dealt with it. I would honestly be surprised if there isn't an existing open-source solution for such a need--after all, all kinds of commercial enterprises, military situations etc. depend on seniority rankings.

I should mention that the quickest, most logical and least labor-intensive method, "just post it manually as a status update", is out. Don't ask why.

--
Rodney Griffith
Developer/Network Systems Administrator