My recommendations are:

Move to a CMS. Drupal has a large library community, and I have been
happily using it for ten years. You might find Joomla more to your liking,
or you could worship the claw and go to Wordpress, which is mammoth, but
not particularly developer friendly.

If a CMS is out of the question, consider using the Symfony framework,
which is similar in concept to Rails, but, IMHO, better constructed. I
think that it is the future of serious PHP development.

The great thing about using a framework is that it provides structure,
making it much easier to make the move to OOP.

FWIW, the forthcoming version of Drupal is built with Symfony and is the
start of Drupal's move from its "hook system" to more standard PHP
components, which will make it friendlier to PHP developers without
a Drupal background.

The ever-irascible Rasmus Lerdorf has declared that Drupal 8, paired with
PHP 7 will be unbeatably performant.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon