Apologizes for cross-posting
###

Hi all --

We are investigating several software platforms for creating and managing
internal documentation and wanted to see what experiences others have had
with these packages.

We are evaluating
* MadCap Flare
* Adobe RoboHelp
* Confluence

Our initial goals for these systems are to replace or augment our existing
documentation strategy, which is a mix of private Google sites, SharePoint
and Word docs. We are starting with our IT department but hope to include
other user groups over time.

Things we like:
* SVN control with MapCap and RoboHelp. However, we have run into problems
with both of their implementations
* Write once publish everywhere functionality
* HTML5 support with WebHelp Plus
* Context aware searching
* Easily export and share documentation externally (PDF)
* Consistent theming and styling across all the documentation
* User/group security management for hiding more sysadmin documentation

Things we don't like
* Windows only (MadCap and RoboHelp)
* WebHelp requires IIS (?)
* Limited functionality with the hosted version of Confluence

What are people using to manage their internal
systems/architecture/application documentation? Are there other products we
should be considering?

Many thanks,
Scott

----