I'm interested in hearing the views of this list on long-term strategy
concerning the software platform for Scholarly Open Access Institutional
Repositories. In particular, I'm interested in how systems like DSpace,
Eprints, etc. have facilities that are to a degree, provided by Fedora
based solutions, e.g. IslandScholar. Why operate two repositories? As
some of us migrate these systems to the cloud, is there a case for
consolidation to reduce duplication of effort and, in particular,
duplication of the substantial long-term costs involved.
Is it the case that we set strategy concerning the scholarly IR platform
circa 2008 and now cloud-migration provides an opportunity to escape
inertial lock-in. Alternatively, is it the case that only a dedicated
scholarly repository provides the features our users demand. Agree,
disagree? I'd be grateful for your input.
Thanks in advance,

Peter Corrigan

Peter Corrigan,
Head of Organisational Development & Performance,
James Hardiman Library,
National University of Ireland, Galway.