Hi Stephen,

I believe the UCSD folks have put things in a relational database in a
spec-agnostic way (and then they can pull things out as MODS, MARC, or
whatever on the fly when needed).  There is a link below to their GitHub
repository which has some documentation (and slides from a 2013
presentation they gave at that year's Code4Lib conference).

https://github.com/ucsdlib/dams/tree/master/ontology

Hope that helps,

Kevin

--
"There are two kinds of people in this world: those who believe there are
two kinds of people in this world and those who know better."