Hey thanks everybody, I've been too busy to dig into any of your
suggestions but hugely appreciated. This group is awesome.

@Amanda, I actually remember signing up for Small Demons in beta and it
died before I got a chance to really explore it.
@Thomas, LibraryThing's charactername field looks very promising if the
list consistently gives main characters first billing.
@Shaun Trajectory is definitely interesting, though I've not thought of a
use case yet.
@Karen true about the authority problem - unless publishers wrap this sort
of info in ebook metadata?
@Joshua Like LibraryThing, its unclear if the character lists are actually
prioritized by significance.
@Joel Shame those resources look rather dusty. As for an IMDB for books, I
think LibraryThing or Amazon are better positioned than anyone.
@Brooke I'm absolutely certain its doable, but as @Amy points out its a
pain in the ass. Even if I simply take @Alexander's suggestion of the Le
Monde list, I have to scrape and scan and scrub for something that, in a
world where we can have nice things, this already exists in a
rough-and-ready incomplete but off-the-shelf dataset. It kinda blows my
mind it doesn't.

Not to mention there's the other step I mentioned, which is matching them
up with Gutenberg.org pages.

I'll keep you guys updated as I dig into all your ideas. Cheers!

Dave