The Digital Initiatives and IT (DIIT) department at the UCLA Library
transformed the way we work over the last 6 years after implementing
Confluence.  We've got two teams of developers (3 focused on the Digital
Library, 6 on everything else), a team of 4 Digital Library project
managers, and an operations staff of 18,; we all rely on the wiki. It
has proved essential after a couple of recent staff departures.

Confluence supports the basic wiki model of linked and tagged documents,
but allows people who like to hierarchy to organize content in a tree.
We make heavy use of the /metadata-list/ macro to format the structure,
and generate views or lists of content (e.g., lists of serves, vendors,
projects, etc) controlled by labels (i.e., tags) using the
/metadata-report/ macro. We use tagging to indicate project status
(definition, planning, execution), type of content (server-logs,
specifications), or technology (voyager, drupal).

We're running our own service; Atlassian on-demand was not an option
when we started. If we weren't using local LDAP authentication, we might
consider migrating to a hosted service. I suspect that we will
eventually move to hosted Confluence, but it's not currently a priority.

The wiki became so integral to the way we work that we decided to
replace our old ticketing system (FootPrints) with Jira to take
advantage of the integration.

Our DIIT implementation was so successful that other Library departments
and locations are starting to use it, some in very sophisticated ways.
For example, a cross-department digitization team uses it to accept
requests, prioritize the work, and track progress.

I would be happy to show anyone who is interested how we use it. A
colleague and I considered writing a Code4Lib Journal article on our
project management methodology, but that article didn't get focus. This
question -- and my answer -- may motivate me to get it done.

Cheers,

/--
-- Gary Thompson
-- Head of Software Development & Project Management
-- Digital Initiatives & Information Technology
-- UCLA Library
-- 390 Powell
-- voice: 310.206.5652
--/