Digital Preservation Researcher
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
New York City

The JDC Archives is the institutional repository of the
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the world's leading Jewish
humanitarian assistance organization since its founding in 1914. Holding over
3 miles of records documenting JDC's global rescue, relief, and renewal work
in over 90 countries in the past century, the JDC Archives is one of the most
significant collections in the world for the study of modern Jewish history.

We seek students for an experiential education opportunity to support our
digitization program, an ongoing effort that has digitized and made available
online more than 2.4 million pages of text and 63,000 photographs. The
position includes two main areas of activity:

As the volume of our digital assets has grown, we are increasingly aware of
the need to prepare for their long-term preservation. The researcher will
investigate best practices, explore the plans that similar institutions are
implementing and the collaborations that are being developed among
institutions, and propose recommendations. For students who receive course
credit, this is an excellent opportunity to produce a written report on an
essential aspect of digital asset management.

Responsibilities:

• Evaluate existing JDC Archives digital assets and preservation practices

• Conduct online research and literature review

• Consult with other institutions and archival organizations

• Assess current and future risks and needs

Qualifications:

Strong interest in digital archives; basic understanding of technical issues
(e.g., fixity, authenticity, obsolescence, preservation metadata) through at
least one relevant course and/or relevant experience.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20774/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/