Clarification -- this will written using Xamarin's Mac toolset which utilizes Object-C for the UI and messaging, and an optimized version of the mono framework delivered for 32/64-bit mac systems).  The present Mac version of MarcEdit is really two applications.  There is the backend assembly files and a god-awful emulation of the WPF classes that work fairly poorly but allow for a single code-base.  When run headless (via the command line) -- the non-UI version of MarcEdit runs quite nicely and at speeds that are close to the Linux and Windows version.  Open it up to use it via a GUI, that it sucks (I'll admit it).  What I've offered is that I'd redo the application to provide a native Mac App that is Mac-Native while still making use of the present assembly code.  This of course requires a Mac of some kind -- and since I'm not a Mac user, there it is.  From the users perspective, it should all be Mac-tastic.

Since this was brought up -- I've sketched out a 3 month roadmap -- enough time I believe to migrate the core functionality to a native application build.  From there, feature parity as appropriate.

--tr

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Francis Kayiwa
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2015 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Native MarcEdit for MacOSX

Terry Reese (thanks Terry if you are reading this) has offered to write a Object-C version of MarcEdit. In order to this he needed access to a Apple Hardware. While my initial proposal on Go Fund me below was for a Macbook Pro, we've since realized it need not be a portable device. My current arithmetic puts the price of this at ~US$1300 as opposed to the listed ~US$2400

Thanks for boosting this signal if you cannot otherwise help fund porting MarcEdit for the Mac OSX platform.

http://www.gofundme.com/qtbzq4

Cheers,
./fxk
--
Your analyst has you mixed up with another patient.  Don't believe a thing he tells you.