From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Flakus
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 3:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Meeting room reservations

Thanks for the complement, Andreas. Here are some more details about the LibRooms application we created here at the Portland State University...

We created this study room reservation application in 2012 after not being able to find an alternative application that fit our needs. We wanted the processes of scheduling a study room to be as simple as possible. Using our application, users can view a color-coded calendar showing the availability for all rooms and easily click/drag to select their desired reservation. The authentication setup can use local accounts or connect with external authentication systems, like ILS Patron APIs and CAS single sign-on.

The main reservation calendar is publicly accessible at: http://library.pdx.edu/studyrooms/
(You need a PSU user account to complete a reservation)

On the admin-side: rooms, users and many reservation policy settings can all be managed through the web application. There are a few predefined reports and a report builder that makes it easy to monitor usage in unique ways.

The backend is PHP with the Pear DB database abstraction layer handling all the database operations. We currently use MySQL for the database, but a number of other database options can be plugged-in as alternatives.

Over the last 3 years the service has been live here at Portland State we've gotten very positive feedback from our patrons. If anyone is interested in using our application, you can email me directly for more details or you can download our latest open-source version at https://github.com/pdxlibrary/librooms. We don't have the capacity to provide extensive technical support for this application, but we are happy to help where we can.

Thanks,
-Mike

Mike Flakus
Lead Web Programmer