Firstly - thanks for the thoughtful replies, links, and anecdotes.

We end up storing a lot of MODS as text in a database.
We map it out as other formats...but our app deals in *a lot* of mods.

A lot of time and line-count is dedicated to turning XML into an
object/datastructure
that can be sent to-and-from web forms in a way our web app likes..and
because that
object/datastructure is atypical we forego the benefits (like first-class
validation) of our framework.
Not to mention querying gets hinky in XML and dealing with remediation
within a
hierarchy means updating what amounts to a denormalized cache.
(http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html)

It's hard to dissuade myself from the idea that we're simply hanging
adjectives on nouns (our objects)
and that different specs map these adjectives to different words and format
them differently.
*I think other projects store attributes in a traditional relational way
and concoct*
*different specs based on DB records. (Maybe Archivist's Toolkit?
Archivespace?)*

Uff - anyway - maybe I'll get a chance to describe a collection's objects
in a spec-agnostic way
I already can imagine peppering the schema with spec-specific columns and
it being a slippery
slope from there. But hey, dream big - right?

I may reply to this thread with my success story one day.
I'm also really eager to share if it goes totally wrong.
Those stories are usually more entertaining.

Stephen