Hi Ken,

These tasks are pretty trivial with a custom content type for your
databases and Views. I've done the exact setup you mention-database list,
both grouped by subject & A to Z-at my former workplace. Here's what the
result looks like: http://info.chesapeake.edu/lrc/library/academic-databases

The Google Analytics module tracks outbound clicks, it's either by default
or a single option in its settings.

If you have a rather small number of databases, I think doing this in pure
Drupal will pay off in terms of ease and content reusability within the
CMS. CUFTS or another ERM system is going to be more robust and suitable
for a larger collection.