Foss4lib.org, operated by Lyrasis, has an inventory of open source digital
asset management systems.

OCLC's ContentDM is a bit long in the tooth, but is still very widely used.

Islandora and Hydra, both using Fedora Commons as their repository, are
very popular among academic libraries. Islandora has a larger public
library audience, although Hydra has recently received a substantial IMLS
grant for a project to make it easier to work with. Islandora uses The
popular Drupal CMS as its front end, and Hydra uses Ruby on Rails.

MPOW, the Cherry Hill Company provides Islandora services, including
development, training, theming (design) and general consultation. We also
offer a fully managed and hosted Islandora service.

Nothing in the library space ever dies, so folks are still using
Greenstone, and they do have a community.

There are at least 100 systems that are or can serve as repositories. Some,
like the ILS vendor offerings, are lame, others, such as Sharepoint, are
not a good fit with libraries. The rest all have a target audience that
they are trying to please.

As long as the systems you are considering fully meet your requirement, if
you are going to mostly rely on a vendor, then you must feel comfortable
with and confident in that vendor. If you have a programming resources on
staff, and plan to work with an open source system, then the project
community becomes your paramount consideration.

Thanks,

Cary

--
Cary Gordon