There's one built into the Cataloging Calculator. It's a javascript program
I wrote 18 years ago for Netscape 4.0, but it still works and gets
significant use.

Since you're working server side, you'll probably just want to copy the
method used rather than to use the code outright though anyone is welcome
to use this embarrassingly written stuff as they see fit. The cutter()
function would be easy to adopt into any language and is only a couple
dozen lines long. It can be found in the
http://calculate.alptown.com/calculate.js file

kyle