On Mon, 18 May 2015, Karl Holten wrote:

> As Joe cautioned might happen with the N directive, I get an infinite loop from this. It keeps prepending the domain name so you get http://www.google-com.topcat.switchinc.org/http://www.google-com.topcat.switchinc.org/<http://www.google-com.topcat.switchinc.org/http:/www.google-com.topcat.switchinc.org/>/ after the second pass, after the third pass you get the full domain three times and so on.
>
> My not-so-genius solution to this problem is just to put in the same
> RedirectRule 6 times in a row and skip the N directive.

If you know how many you're dealing with, but don't want it to pass
through quite as many rules, you can use a power of twos trick:

1. Have a rule that replaces 4 dashes
2. Have a rule that replaces 2 dashes
3. Have a rule that replaces 1 dash

it'll then handle between 0 and 7 dashes.

At 6, this might not be worth it ... when you start getting above a dozen
(which hopefully you'll never have to deal with), it might be.

-Joe