For those who might be interested:

Based on a couple of suggestions, I tried to use macutils.  Turns out
that the last version is circa 1992, c code, no autoconfig file, a make
file that requires some work.  Found a packaged version for Debian,
built a virtual machine, installed the package.  Unfortunately, when all
was said and done, it told me "unrecognized file format."

So I then went into the wonderful world of Mac emulation.  Last time I'd
looked at things like Sheepshaver, you had to have a retail CD
containing OS 9, otherwise you were SOL.  This time, I found a
pre-packaged version that installed and booted just fine - actually,
just download, unzip, click, and you have OS9 running in a window on a
modern Mac, with shared files -- way cool.  (For those interested - look
at
http://www.macwindows.com/Emulator-for-Mac-OS-9-in-OS-X-updated-for-Mountain-Lion.html
for download links).

Then I had to dig up a copy of DDExpand - found one at
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=22663 - had to unstuff it (remember
stuffit - happen to have a modern copy on my machine), then move the
unstuffed file to a shared folder (along with the files I wanted to expand).

 From there, it expanded files perfectly.  Of course then I had to use
Word 2008 to open the resulting files, under Word 2011, I just got blank
pages.

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman