From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Sarles Patricia (18K500) [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] looking for free hosting for html code

Thank you to everyone for pointing me to free HTML editors.

I've been using this one successfully:

http://editra.org/download

on my Mac at work running OS 10.5.8.

I plan to teach coding to my 6th and 12th grade students next school year and our lab has a mixture of old (2008) and new Macs (2015) so I want to make all the Macs functional for writing code in an editor.

My next question is this:

I am familiar with free Web creation and hosting sites like Weebly, Wix, Google sites, Wikispaces, WordPress, and Blogger, but do you know of any free hosting sites that will allow you to plug in your own code. i.e. host your own html files?

I had my students create wikis and blogs this year as a place for them to put their projects and writing.

I linked to all my students' work from my own blog:

http://pascrs2014.blogspot.com

and you will see if you click on one of them, for example this one:

http://ajb96crs.wikispaces.com/New+TChart

from my blog, I can link to all of my students' work.

For next year, I want my students to create original sites for their original content that I can link to from a single location, e.g. a blog I create.

If all students are creating files with code with no place to host their files, then I wouldn't be able to do this.

So I am looking for a site that will host html files for free.

I hope this is clear.

Many thanks for your input!

Patricia

Patricia Sarles, MA (Anthropology), MLS
Librarian
Jerome Parker Campus Library
100 Essex Drive
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-370-6900 x1322
http://jeromeparkercampus.libguides.com/home

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. - Naguib Mahfouz

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information. - Benjamin Disraeli