From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Armstrong
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] API to retrieve scholarly publications by author

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to share this. On closer inspection it looks like Academic Search is a research project rather than a product; one that has stalled, concluded or been abandoned.

I was just looking at what sources ImpactStory indexes. For scholarly publications they seem to pull data from ORCID as well as Google Scholar. They're probably scraping the latter, but only if you designate a Google Scholar ID. They don't try to disentangle authors themselves, which is probably wise. (I'm basing this on their sample profile and some light googling.)

I think I'll probably go with one of Zotero, Mendeley or ORCID for my project. I think ORCID might provide more benefits to my users outside of my particular project. That makes it appealing since I'll have to convince people to go and add the data themselves.

I wish it supported arbitrary tags for works, which would allow users to tag a few representative items.

Alex