Thanks to all who responded to this - you've given me a lot to think about. In the near term, I'm going to learn to do PDO calls and convert a few small projects over to that system. In the long-term, taking this as an opportunity to switch to a CMS for the main website might make sense, so I'll start exploring those ideas again too. And/or, I may take TK up on the idea of giving it all up an opening a coffee shop instead...

Many thanks -- I 'm glad to have such a robust community of experienced co-conspirators.

Ken