I think a key thing is to determine to what extent any definition of 'completeness' is actually a representation of 'quality'.  As Peter says, making sure not just that metadata is present but then checking it conforms with rules is a big step towards this. I would also extend this to assessing at what level of accuracy things have been set, for example dates (a rough range vs a precise day) and geotags (coordinates presenting the centre of Paris vs the exact position that a photograph was taken from). These sorts of things can make a big difference to both the discoverability and practical reusability of records by end users.

Best, James

From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Esmé Cowles [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 May 2015 13:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] How to measure quality of a record

Sergio-

Mark Phillips has a related blog post that I think is an excellent place to start, which outlines a system for scoring how complete a record is:

http://vphill.com/journal/post/4075

There was some discussion on twitter recently about this, which you can look up on the #metadataquality hashtag: https://twitter.com/hashtag/metadataquality

I think there was a move to setup a mailing list for this topic or something like that, but I'm not sure where that stands now.

-Esme