From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert Sandusky <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] How to measure quality of a record

I recommend this article as an entry point into a research program on
information quality:

Stvilia, B., Gasser, L., Twidale, M. B. and Smith, L. C. (2007), A
framework for information quality assessment. J. Am. Soc. Inf. Sci., 58:
1720–1733. doi:10.1002/asi.20652 Available at:
http://stvilia.cci.fsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IQAssessmentFramework.pdf

One cannot manage information quality (IQ) without first being able to
measure it meaningfully and establishing a causal connection between the
source of IQ change, the IQ problem types, the types of activities
affected, and their implications. In this article we propose a general
IQ assessment framework. In contrast to context-specific IQ assessment
models, which usually focus on a few variables determined by local
needs, our framework consists of comprehensive typologies of IQ
problems, related activities, and a taxonomy of IQ dimensions organized
in a systematic way based on sound theories and practices. The framework
can be used as a knowledge resource and as a guide for developing IQ
measurement models for many different settings. The framework was
validated and refined by developing specific IQ measurement models for
two large-scale collections of two large classes of information objects:
Simple Dublin Core records and online encyclopedia articles.

Bob