CaMMS Faceted Subject Access Interest Group Program - ALA Annual 2015

The Faceted Subject Access Interest Group provides a forum to discuss the theory and applications related to subject terminology intended for faceted application.  In San Francisco the focus is on FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) with a lively session of lightning talks showcasing innovative uses of and interesting issues with FAST headings in archival, repository, and catalog settings.

Please join us Saturday, June 27, 2015 in the Marriott Marquis San Francisco Yerba Buena Salon 05 from 4:30-5:30 PM.

ALA Scheduler: http://alaac15.ala.org/node/29209

Program:

Speeding up Archival Description with FAST
Mackenzie Brooks, Assistant Professor and Metadata Librarian, Washington and Lee University
This lightning talk will outline the experience of batch-loading FAST headings into ArchivesSpace to speed up archival description and reduce cataloging backlog. At our small liberal arts university library, catalogers and Special Collections staff frequently fell behind in processing while trying to unite their distinct description priorities. Importing the FAST headings into ArchivesSpace minimized this barrier by providing Special Collections staff with a wide range of pre-approved headings. This presentation will briefly address technical implementation options and staff training strategies.
"Never the Time and the Place and the Topic All Together!": Conceptualizing and Creating Chronological, Event, and Geographic Faceted Headings in an Archival-Management System
Catherine Oliver, Metadata and Cataloging Services Librarian, Northern Michigan University

In October of 2014, the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives began transitioning to the ArchivesSpace archival-management system, a process which offered us an exciting opportunity to rethink our approach to metadata. The Archives has traditionally used the Library of Congress Subject Headings vocabulary to provide controlled subject access to its collections. We found, however, that our existing LCSH access points were not optimal for ArchivesSpace, which is a post-coordinated search environment designed to be navigated by faceted browsing. We have begun faceting our LCSH for use in ArchivesSpace, but have run into some issues with managing our chronological, event, and geographical headings. This talk will give an overview of our preliminary draft of best practices and outline our proposed survey of archives users (to be carried out in the fall of 2015).

Implementing FAST in an Institutional Repository
Brian Luna Lucero & Melanie Wacker, Columbia University

Columbia University Libraries/Information Services began using FAST selectively in original cataloging of pamphlets in 2014 and also moved to using FAST in digital projects in early 2015. Based on these positive experiences, the decision was made to also use FAST in Columbia's digital repository Academic Commons<http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/>. This lightning talk will address the unique challenges faced by the Academic Commons team to move a large scale MODS-based repository of over 15,000 items from the very high level ProQuest subject terms to the much more granular FAST headings -- both for new cataloging going forward as well as for the existing records.

FAST Headings in the UNLV Libraries Catalog: A Laissez-Faire Approach!
Carol Ou, Head of Discovery Services, & Marilyn Vent, Serials Cataloging Librarian, University of Nevada, Las Vegas

The introduction of FAST headings in WorldCat records can pose new challenges to local catalogs and local cataloging practices.  Like many other libraries, UNLV Libraries sources shelf-ready and other copy-cataloging records from WorldCat for a significant portion of our collection.  Traditionally we do very little editing to the majority of these records, so when OCLC began systematically adding FAST headings to WorldCat records, FAST headings naturally began flowing into our local catalog.  This presentation will briefly discuss our local approach to managing FAST headings and the display and indexing changes we have made to support FAST headings in our local catalog, as well as some issues surrounding the maintenance of these headings that we have yet to fully resolve.

We will also hear an update from Dr. Diane Vizine-Goetz about OCLC's work with FAST.