Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Wallis
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 9:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Bibframe and FRBRization

Bibframe is a vocabulary which will enable the description of Works and their Instances - for the purpose of this conversation a Bibframe Instance approximates to a FRBR Manifestation.

The kind of service you describe would be one built upon such data.  It could be a specific ISBN to Work id lookup tool or it could be a general query tool such as a SPARQL server.  So the capability is there once the data [encoded using the Bibframe vocabulary] is available in sufficient quantity to make such a service viable.

If you are looking for unique Work identifiers (URIs) for related manifestations - there are approximately 200 million of them available from WorldCat.org.  Currently the best way to get one is by using the OCLC Number associated with your manifestation.

As Peter points out you can get more information here:
https://www.oclc.org/developer/develop/linked-data/worldcat-entities/worldcat-work-entity.en.html

If you want to capture the exampleOfWork through code, the Linked Data description of a manifestation is available in several serialisation forms,
not just html.   So for example http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/889647468 gets
you html  http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/889647468.ttl gives you Turtle, http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/889647468.jsonld gives you JSON, http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/889647468.rdf gives you RDF/XML and http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/889647468.nt gives you triples any of which you can parse to extract the exampleOfWork value from.

~Richard.

--
Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate