Hi Sergio,

As part of eXtensible Catalog we developed a Dewey module for Drupal,
which takes a Dewey number, and use OCLC's dewey.info to fetch the
textual description of the part. When it was created the service
contained only 3 levels of the classification system, since then they
went ahead, and now it is deeper.

You can find the sorce here:
http://cgit.drupalcode.org/xc/tree/xc_dewey/xc_dewey.module?h=7.x-1.x

Maybe it helps you.

Regarding to UDC: it is much a harder task, and when I worked with it,
I run into a blocking problem, which is that UDC was not licenced as
freely usable, and I was not able to get a licence to use it in an
open source project. There were some other problems as well: UDC
changed from time to time, and sometimes it means, that a given
classification code means this thing in a given point of time, and
that thing some years later. The MARC catalog I worked with did not
contain any information about the UDC versions, so the accuracy of the
tool was not guaranted (of course you can do some intelligent
guessing). And the last problem was, that on contrary to the Dewey
classification UDC contains sometime very lengthy descriptions instead
of one or two words. Semantically it is OK, but makes the UI design a
little bit hard, and if you want to search for the textual
description, you'll end up sometimes with a "noisy" result set.
Otherwise to handle the operators, the subclasses, and all the nice
things UDC provides is a very interesting challange.

Cheers,
Péter

--
Péter Király