Hi Ken,

I haven't done anything with a Google Places account, but your question
sort of ties together two projects of mine; one very old and one brand new.
A few years back I built a javascript "open checker" to display the rather
byzantine hours of the library I was working for at the time (hours I had
no hand in determining).  The javascript to get the job done has a number
of funneling algorithms that have to be edited with updated info. But,
that's where project number two comes in. I just recent built a tool (PHP
based) for the TMC Library which allows reference librarians to edit a
libguide by adding content and some settings which then automagically
populate as announcements in our EZProxy login page (so we reach basically
all of our users). This allows folks with no web coding knowledge to build
the announcements, as well as allowing them to set things like background
color and announcement position on the page, using an interface they're
already comfortable with. The announcements are expressed as javascript
files loaded into the EZProxy page with the usual script tag. The same
thing could certainly be done with some variation of my open checker,
vastly simplifying the process of modifying hours, holidays, etc.

If anyone is interested in project number two, we;ll be presenting a paper
on it at the next SCC/MLA annual conference and looking to publish it soon
after. So far the tool is working out pretty well.

Best regards,
*Jason Bengtson, MLIS, MA*
Innovation Architect

*Houston Academy of MedicineThe Texas Medical Center Library*
1133 John Freeman Blvd
Houston, TX   77030
http://library.tmc.edu/
www.jasonbengtson.com