Information in subfield u should be complete, but even if that weren't the
case, it's important to consider how systems handle the information they're
given. MARC is just a container, and just because the information is
syntactically kosher does not mean it will be processed how you like.

In the case at hand,  you can do anything you like if the information is
just used locally and your systems behaves the way you need. As Andrew
mentions, you'll run into trouble if this information gets imported into
other systems.

kyle