Hi everyone. We hope to find better ways of providing access to archival
documents using EAD and some page viewer, but this use of PDF.js is
something we could put together quickly with resources (time, coding chops,
etc) that we had.

Our PDF files are created with Adobe Acrobat. If anyone needs specifics on
how to use the app to create nameddest markers, I can find out. An Adobe
doc on #nameddest can be found here:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/AcrobatDC_pdf_open_parameters.pdf
I don't know about Nitro Pro and its implementation of nameddest.

The PDF.js project is basically what you have in the Mozilla Firefox
browser and is available as a JavaScript library. Many thanks to the PDF.js
team! It seems to run beautifully and the same way on many browsers. I'm on
vacation and going from memory here but I can look up some things when I
get back next week if that would be useful. I do remember having to grapple
with a few sticky things. For example although the docs indicate that
ampersand (&) or pound (#) should work, I think I could not get & to work
but only # worked. I also had a little trouble figuring out how to actually
build the PDF.js application and I also struggled with some CORS issues
with hosting this on AWS. I also have the application introspect as to
where it's living (on our web version of Blacklight or the intranet
version, which has more finding aids and access to digital files). So the
PDF.js introspects to figure out where it's running and modifies the
hyperlink paths to AWS if it's running on the web or to a local location if
it's running on our intranet. Sorry if this is all TMI.