On the surface, your difficulties suggest you may need look at a few
optimization tactics. Apologies if these are things you've already
considered and addressed - just offering a suggestion.

This page [1] is for Access 2003 but the items under "Improve query
performance" should apply - I think - to newer versions also.  I'll draw
specific attention to 1) Compacting the database; 2) making sure you
have an index set up on the bib record number field and number of circs
field; and 3) make sure you are using hte "Group by" sql syntax [2].

Now, I'm not terribly familiar with Access so I can't actually help you
with point/click instructions, but the above are common 'gotchas' that
could be a problem regardless of RDBMS.

Yours,
Kevin

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/209126