Developers (3 positions)
Jisc
Bristol

Location: Bristol, London, Manchester, Newcastle

Salary: £31,342 to £35,256 pa dependent upon skills and experience (plus
London Weighting)

Hours: Full Time

Contract Type: Contract / Temporary

Placed on: 12th August 2015

Closes: 24th August 2015

Jisc offers digital services and solutions for UK education and research. The
charity does this to achieve its vision for the UK to be the most digitally
advanced education and research nation in the world. Jisc has offices in
Bristol, London, Manchester and Newcastle and these roles may be located in
any one of these offices.

Working together across the higher education, further education and skills
sectors, Jisc provides trusted advice and support, reduces sector costs across
shared network, digital content, IT services and procurement negotiations,
ensuring the sector stays ahead of the game with research and development for
the future.

We are looking for highly motivated experienced developers to join our
exciting new Open Access programme. We need developers with
experience of building scalable, resilient, distributed or n-tier applications
with large numbers of users.

We particularly want to hear from candidates with:

  * The ability to programme in an Object Oriented language (e.g. Python, PHP, Java)
  * Good understanding of Human Computer Interface issues and usability of IT systems
  * Experience with some of the following technologies:
  * relational database (MySQL), web server (Apache, Tomcat), programming languages (Python, PHP, Java), Unix (Linux / Solaris), enterprise search (Elasticsearch), Javascript, XML./ XSLT, Jason, HTML5, RESTful interfaces, access management (SAML/Shibboleth)
  * Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to quickly establish rapport and elicit requirements.
The successful candidates will make a significant contribution to the systems
design, development, implementation and support of Jisc scholarly
communications services and projects. These services play a
critical role in the move to Open Access for academic research publications,
in line with UK Government policy; as such they are high profile and very well
used by academics and others in universities.

These roles provide the opportunity to work with new technology such as
ElasticSearch and work towards building a set of integrated services. You can
expect a diverse and varied work environment where we ensure all our solutions
are delivered to a high standard.

Benefits include 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, employee assistance
programme, generous contributory pension scheme (USS), Cycle to Work Scheme,
season ticket loans and our childcare voucher scheme.

If you have the skills and experience we are seeking please visit our website
www.jisc.ac.uk/jobs for further details of the role and the application
process.

If you have any questions about the role please email [log in to unmask]
or call 0203 697 5854.

Closing date for applications 12 noon Monday 24 August 2015. Interviews will
be held throughout this period so please do not delay you application as to
not miss out on this great opportunity

Appointment will be made subject to receipt of satisfactory references.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22275/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/