Thank you Christian Pietsch and Kevin Ford for saving me the trouble, and for doing so with more correctness than I would have mustered.

IMHO, where an https url is available, adding a insecure link as an alternative is 100% disadvantageous to users.

Eric Hellman
President, Free Ebook Foundation
Founder, Unglue.it https://unglue.it/
http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/