(UI/UX) DIGITAL LIBRARY INTERFACE DEVELOPER
Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania

Lafayette College seeks a talented and engaged programmer to join the Library’s Digital Scholarship Services department. The person selected for this position will lead design and programming efforts for all public-facing elements of Lafayette’s digital library ecosystem, including elegant UI/UX design for repository systems and a growing number of repository-backed digital research projects with faculty members. Typical UI developer tasks include requirements gathering, initial design, implementation, testing and refinement within a larger agile/extreme software development methodology. The successful candidate should have good design sense and experience working creatively within the more structured confines of library repository frameworks and applications.

Our library values and supports involvement with digital library development communities and encourages close collaboration locally and beyond. We seek someone who will thrive as an integral part of a dynamic team that is committed to furthering digital research and scholarship through the use of continuous integration and deployment, emerging approaches to CSS styling, and modern social programming tools and techniques. We invite applications from those who share our perspective, particularly women and people from other under-represented groups.

Qualifications:

    * Two years of relevant programming experience
    * Advanced degree in library/information science, computer science or related field. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement for particular strong candidates
    * Academic library experience strongly preferred, particularly with digital libraries and digital scholarship
    * Strong experience with some of the following: Ruby on Rails, Twitter Bootstrap, CSS3, Sass or LESS, D3, OpenLayers, JavaScript and web UI frameworks such as jQuery, AngularJS, Backbone

Desired experience with:

    * Agile, eXtreme, and/or pair programming
    * Formal methods of Quality Assurance and/or Test-Driven Development
    * Modern issue tracking, project management, source control tools
    * Digital library frameworks such as Fedora Commons, Hydra, or Islandora
    * Common web technologies such as Drupal, PHP, Responsive Web Design
    * Library-specific technologies such as Omeka, Neatline, Linked Open Data

If this ad describes you, please send a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter explaining why you are passionate about digital libraries and what you can offer our growing development team to: Neil McElroy, Dean of Libraries, Lafayette College, Easton, PA 18042 or via email to: [log in to unmask] Lafayette College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college with degree programs in the arts, sciences, and engineering. Lafayette received the 2014 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, which recognized, among other accomplishments, the Library’s innovative approaches to digital scholarship. Librarians at Lafayette hold faculty status, without rank or tenure, and participate in college governance as members of the Faculty. The Library strongly encourages and generously supports professional development.

////////

I am happy to answer informal questions about this position.

Eric Luhrs
Director for Digital Scholarship Services
Skillman Library, Lafayette College
610-330-5796