I'll echo Matt's comments. As long as your ServiceProvider is configured
correctly to talk with the IdP, adding the shib_auth module in Drupal was a
snap. If you don't currently have an SP configured, my recommendation would
be to tackle that first, and separately from Drupal (if possible). The
configuration can be somewhat finicky IIRC, and it was easier (at least in
my case) to address that on its own terms to limit the number of possible
variable to debug.

Hope this helps,
Matt