Recently, Dr. Charles Henry represented CLIR and DLF at a symposium organized by the Asia Society, Middle East Institute, Antiquities Coalition, and UNESCO. The gathering was called "Culture under Threat: the Security, Economic, and Cultural Impact of Antiquities Trafficking and Terrorist Financing,” and is described here:

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/can-world-save-antiquities-under-terrorist-threat

DLF members will not want to miss Chuck’s reflection on the symposium, and on how creation of a broad-scale Digital Library of the Middle East and application of digital library skills, values, and expertise might serve to hinder manuscript and artifact trafficking and promote long-term appreciation of our shared cultural heritage:

http://connect.clir.org/blogs/charles-henry/2015/10/01/culture-under-threat-and-digital-libraries

I’ll add that digital libraries also provide, in the very worst cases, versions of last resort. We are now seeing a blossoming of digital reconstruction work like that of Project Mosul (http://projectmosul.org), and it is clear that our community has much to contribute.

I encourage you to read Chuck’s post and get in touch with me if you or your organization have a special interest in staying informed of CLIR/DLF work in this sphere. — Bethany

Bethany Nowviskie
Director of the Digital Library Federation (DLF) at CLIR
& Research Associate Professor of Digital Humanities at UVa
diglib.org | clir.org | engl.virginia.edu | nowviskie.org