Greetings:

For the past 11 months, members of the DLF Assessment Interest Group (AIG)'s User Studies Working Group have been researching and writing a white paper on assessing use and usability in digital libraries. Today we are excited to announce that "Surveying the Landscape: Use and Usability Assessment of Digital Libraries" is available for public comment. You can view, suggest revisions, and comment on the draft using the following Google document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jd7N6BMh7g1DbgSpL0vigY4s87k7UQjOJLvgYYkqP0c/edit?usp=sharing.

"Surveying the Landscape" focuses on the current strengths, existing gaps, and potential future next steps around assessing digital libraries in three key areas:

*         User and Usability Studies

*         Return on Investment

*         Content Reuse

The Working Group will be taking public comments until Friday, November 13th. We will also be discussing the white paper during two sessions at the upcoming DLF 2015 Forum:

*         Collaborative Efforts to Develop Best Practices in Assessment: A Progress Report

Monday, October 26th, 1:30-2:30 p.m.

This session will give an overview of all four working groups in the DLF AIG (Analytics, Citations, User Studies, and Costs).

*         Digital Library Assessment Lunch

Tuesday, October 27th, 12:15-1:20

This working lunch will explore next steps, with a heavy emphasis on community feedback

We look forward to hearing your input and feedback. The final draft of "Surveying the Landscape" will be made available in December 2015.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Thanks so much!

DLF AIG User Studies Working Group
Joyce Chapman, Duke University
Jody DeRidder, University of Alabama
Megan Hurst, Athenaeum21 Consulting
Elizabeth Joan Kelly, Loyola University New Orleans
Martha Kyrillidou, Association of Research Libraries
Caroline Muglia, University of Southern California
Genya O'Gara, Virtual Library of Virginia
Ayla Stein, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Santi Thompson, University of Houston
Rachel Trent, George Washington University
Liz Woolcott, Utah State University
Tao Zhang, Purdue University

Santi Thompson, Head of Digital Repository Services
University Libraries
University of Houston
A Carnegie-designated Tier One public research university
713-743-9685
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0337-6439