DLF Colleagues --

At Mount Holyoke, we are doing a bit of an environmental scan looking for institutions who are taking a comprehensive approach to the notion of campus collections.  We are looking for places that are trying to bring together virtually collections that are spread throughout the institution (beyond library, archives, and museum).

We know about the following efforts:
Yale has a portal, Primary sources @ Yale: http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/primarysources/overview.html

Harvard recently held a symposium, The Things Harvard Has @ https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/news/in-news/things-harvard-has

narrower scope, but Oberlin's recently launched architectural images project @ http://www.oberlinlibstaff.com/omeka_oca/
brings together archival images and historical information with current Facilities dept. info.

We're looking for similar efforts to create a virtual entry point into all the primary source collections that the College has amassed over all its years of existence (175+).  This could be digitization of those collections or it could be metadata/finding aids/collection description.  For MHC, these collections include (in addition to the archives and museum):

historic dress collection
athletic clothing collection
early furniture collections
math collection of 3D models
biology and geology collections of specimens
plaster casts in Art
scientific instruments
Greenhouse/botanical collections
Japanese teahouse collection
Observatory collections

If you are doing similar work, we are also interested in hearing about the ways in which you are tying your initiatives into the curriculum and how you are aligning your resources, eg: scanning/digitization/metadata efforts, etc. across collections.

Please email me if you can help us!  I'm happy to summarize, if there is interest.

thanks much,

Erin Stalberg
Director of Discovery and Access
Library, Information, and Technology Services
Mount Holyoke College
413.538.2228

To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
http://lists.clir.org/scripts/wa-CLIR.exe?SUBED1=DLF-ANNOUNCE&A=1