I'd love to see a "train the trainer" type workshop on teaching others to code. A colleague and I started a code club at our library this fall, and we had an overwhelmingly positive response, but now we have to deal with our success! Most of our code clubbers have never coded before, so we're essentially teaching an impromptu introduction to programming class. My colleague has been coding for around 20 years, and I am a beginning programmer, so we're still figuring out how to pace the introduction of new material, and how to differentiate our instruction so that we don't completely overwhelm those struggling with the material, but still keep the fast learners engaged. We'd also love to hear about how others share tools, which websites/books/syllabi have worked for folks, which didn't, and why.

Best,

Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Headley
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 9:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] What would you like to learn at a code4lib preconf workshop?

Hi all,

This is a thread for brainstorming / inspiring / soliciting one another!

Pre-conference proposals are pulling in real-time from the submission form to the conference website: http://2016.code4lib.org/proposed-workshops.html

What's still missing? What would you like to learn about for 3 hours in a code4lib pre-conf workshop? Reply on-list and follow this thread for topics you know about and could teach others.

Remember workshops don't have to be about code. Workshops on management topics, cataloging / data topics, and I'm sure many others are relevant to members of our community. Think about workshops on topics / tools useful for organizations of every stripe of GLAM and teams of all sizes.

Once you're inspired, here's the link to submit your proposal:
http://bit.ly/c4l16preconf

Best,
Anna