Just a warning about OCLC's xID API: a few weeks ago I requested an access token to bypass the rate limit, and was told that they are no longer giving these out. I was also told that the data in xID has not been updated for some time (I don't know when they stopped, but I think the rep told me it was at least a year out of date). It was very disappointing to learn this; if the project is essentially dead, this fact should be advertised (at the very least, they should take down the pricing list!).

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Denton
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 5:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Matching print and electronic editions of the same book

Thanks!  That opens things up.  We do have a lot of OCLC numbers.  For my example book, there's an 035 with three of them, including 841051199. If I look at

http://worldcat.org/oclc/841051199

it takes me to the human-readable page, but

http://worldcat.org/oclc/841051199.rdf

shows it all in RDF, and I can see a lot of things like

<rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://experiment.worldcat.org/entity/work/data/1613596711#Place/japan">

so I can pick out the work ID and look it up.  (Perhaps the work ID be specified directly there?)

So that would work, but aha, I just noticed I could make it a little simpler by using xOCLCNUM to get the work ID, which is the owi field here:

http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/oclcnum/841051199?method=getMetadata&format=json&fl=*

And then I can go to

http://experiment.worldcat.org/entity/work/data/1613596711.rdf

and get all the workExample links, and use those OCLC numbers.

(Which I'm sure you knew, Roy, but perhaps didn't mention because of the rate-limiting, but as far as I know our subscription means I can get an access token so I can do some larger queries.)

A first run of something like this would take a while to process everything, but I'd store locally what I need to know, and then incremental updates for a month's worth of news ebooks wouldn't take long.  Thanks!

Bill

--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/