Sent on behalf of a colleague and likely of interest to DLF Members:

***

Dear colleagues,

I am conducting research with Professor Melissa Terras of University
College London on the current provision of Orphan Works registration
schemes and how they have been implemented. An 'Orphan Work' is one whose
copyright holder cannot be located, but which is still in copyright ( based
on its publication/creation date).  Recent legislation (Directive
2012/28/EU) passed in 2012 and enacted in late 2014 has led to the
development of Orphan Works Registries in the UK and the EU.

We would appreciate if you could answer some survey questions to help us in
our research. This survey covers the UK registry, but may still be of value
to respondents living and working in the EU or elsewhere, as the UK
registry requires any Orphan Work which may have an as-yet-unidenfitied UK
copyright holder to be registered and licensed in order to be legally
viewed, displayed, replicated or incorporated digitally on websites
accessible to the public in the United Kingdom. In other words, if you have
an orphan work in your institution or incorporated into one of your digital
projects, and you are not sure if it is either a) still in copyright or b)
may have a UK copyright holder, you may be liable to register this work
with the UK licensing scheme (and will need to provide evidence that you
performed a diligent search for any possible known copyright holders).

The survey is available at the following web address:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/OrphanWorksSurvey and, depending on your
answers and level of familiarity with the UK scheme, may take about 20
minutes to complete. We would appreciate your insights into the current
handling of Orphan Work registration schemes, even if you/your institution
have chosen not to use them. The survey will be active until the end of
January.

In January, we will be conducting follow-up phone/skype/in-person
interviews with a small selection of people who have filled out the survey.
If you are interested in being one of the people we contact for a follow-up
interview, please indicate this at the end of the survey.

Thank you so much in advance for filling out this survey. If you would be
so kind as to spread this survey widely throughout your social media
networks and list servs, we would appreciate it!

Merisa Martinez
PhD Candidate | SSLIS at University of Borås
<http://www.hb.se/en/The-Swedish-School-of-Library-and-Information-Science-SSLIS/>
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow | DiXiT ITN
<http://dixit.uni-koeln.de/>
Visiting Researcher | Cambridge Digital Library <http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/>
Visiting Student | Cambridge HPS <http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/>
@merisamartinez <https://twitter.com/merisamartinez>

****

Daniel Powell | Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow (DiXiT ITN)

King’s College London | Department of Digital Humanities
University of Victoria | Electronic Textual Cultures Lab | Department of
English
www.djp2025.com | @djp2025