Kyle, I don't know if I'm understanding your question correctly, but I
think this is something I was just reviewing. I removed "Diversity" as a
subject term (we're a little loose here in applying subjects terms that
aren't directly in the photo) from some photos that were of, for example, a
single student studying on the lawn or in the coffee shop. The diversity in
the photo was that the student was of color. When there is an image of a
white student, we wouldn't put "homogeneity" or something like that, so I
took off "diversity". But, as you say, users do want to be able to search
for these concepts, and I think it is important not to erase differences
just because it is difficult to represent that without being essentialist
in metadata.

Are you trying to automate this process, or are humans doing this? If
automated, watch out for what Google Photos did:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/07/01/google-apologizes-after-photos-identify-black-people-as-gorillas/29567465/

--
Laura Buchholz
Digital Projects Librarian