Just in case anyone was (like me) wondering how a wildcard certificate would work with multiple levels of subdomains, it turns out that EZproxy has custom support for SSL built-in and automatically converts example.org.ezproxy.example.org to use hyphens in the subdomains: example-org.ezproxy.example.org

Citing an online discussion:

> > One post I read suggested that wildcard certificates were only good for one domain level, here's an excerpt:
> >
> > "Example, if the cert is for *.domain.com then a.domain.com and b.domain.com hosts can use the same cert. but for hosts that have more than one level of subdomain like c.d.domain.com, the cert. will not work and you will get the popup warning"
> >
> > Is this comment accurate?
>
> That comment is true. For this reason, when you use a wildcard certificate on a server named ezproxy.yourlib.org, the wildcard certificate is for *.ezproxy.yourlib.org, EZproxy calls itself login.ezproxy.yourlib.org during secure login, and when you proxy a remote site, the periods of the hostname are changed to hyphens (e.g. www-somedb-com.ezproxy.yourlib.org). This avoids the browser warnings.

Sent from my iPhone