From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael C Robinson
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 10:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; Code for Libraries
Subject: Re: [patronprivacy] Let's Encrypt and EZProxy

​Eric,

The ability to have many domain names on a single Let's Encrypt certificate should work well as a stop gap until wildcard certificates are available.  Our mid-size university library subscribes to a number of resources which probably represents a couple of hundred domain names that need to be proxied.  We don't subscribe to that many databases but one of the publishers uses separate domain names for each journal, i.e. somejournal.somevendor.com.

If the LE tool allows you to add a domain name to existing certificate or batch add domain names from a file that can be maintained, it would not be too hard to provision this way.

Also, not all vendors will make https available right away so ramp up would be slow.

I will try to spin up a test instance of ezproxy in next couple of weeks and install certificates via LE and report back on this thread.

Long term, I would still make the pitch to Lets Encrypt to make wildcard available at some point, its just more elegant and straight forward, it would eliminate a step of having to issue/modify certificate when adding a new resource to the proxy.

-Mike