From: Santi Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [digital-library-assessment] Call for Interest in the Cultural Assessment Working Group, part of DLF Assessment Interest Group
Date: January 14, 2016 at 6:55:52 PM EST
To: Digital Library Assessment <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings:

This email is a call for those interested in participating in a new DLF Assessment Interest Group (DLF AIG) working group on the Cultural Assessment of Digital Libraries. There is more information about the group below, but first a few words about participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate.

Cultural Assessment in 2015-2016

The digital collections we acquire, describe, make accessible, and preserve are all impacted by cultural forces that shape our professional decisions. How do we as information professionals acknowledge, measure, and/or assess these forces to understand the various biases we impose on digital collections? This working group will begin to answer this question, and others developed by the group, over the next year.

To begin our work, the Cultural Assessment Group will be holding an interest call in February 2016. The aim of this call is to determine the interest in moving forward with such a group and it identify potential leaders for the group moving forward.

How can you participate?

Individuals interested in participating in either project should fill out the Cultural Assessment Sign Up Sheet by Friday, January 22. Santi Thompson will coordinate an interest call in February.

For questions about the Cultural Assessment working group, please contact Santi Thompson at [log in to unmask].  For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Joyce Chapman [log in to unmask] and Santi Thompson [log in to unmask].